Nexter is awarded the contract for the development of the CAESAR 6X6 Mark II new generation (NG) artillery system by the French Direction générale de l’armement (DGA), the programme’s prime contractor. The contract provides for an initial four-year development and qualification phase, after which the CAESAR 6X6 Mark II will enter production. In 2024, the DGA will have two options: either to launch the production of 109 new CAESARs 6X6 Mark II, or to launch the production of 33 new CAESARs 6X6 Mark II supplemented by the retrofit of the 76 CAESARs in service today. Thus, 109 CAESARs 6X6 Mark II will be delivered to the French army's artillery regiments by 2031. The contract also includes an initial fixed-price support service for the future artillery systems for a period of two years.
The new generation CAESAR 6x6 retains the current configuration of the artillery system, which has proven itself in operations (more than 100,000 rounds fired since 2009) and has been a success in export. The main improvements concern crew protection and mobility. To this end, Nexter is adding a level 2 mine and ballistic armoured cabin, resistant to improvised explosive devices and small-calibre ammunition. In addition, the vehicle's mobility has been completely redesigned by Arquus. The CAESAR 6X6 Mark II is equipped with a new engine (460 HP compared to 215 HP previously), a new automatic gearbox and a new chassis. Finally, the CAESAR 6X6 Mark II carries the latest version of fire control software, and the cab is prepared to accommodate the new CONTACT radio. The Thales BARAGE jammer can also be installed on the CAESAR 6x6 Mark II.
The CAESAR 6X6 Mark II will be offered to export customers.
The French and Lithuanian Defense ministers signed a technical arrangement for cooperation in the artillery field, including an order for 18 CAESAR 6X6 MkII for the Lithuanian Armed Forces.
The Czech Republic ordered 10 CAESAR 8X8 to complete the 52 systems ordered in 2021.
These contracts bring to 55 the number of CAESAR in all versions ordered in 2022 by 4 Nexter customers.
The CAESAR 6X6 MkII is a new version of the truck equipped with a 155mm artillery system. The development of this version was ordered in 2021 by the French Defense Procurement Agency (DGA) for the needs of the French Army. It combines a new chassis designed by Arquus, a better protected cabin and the artillery system of the version already in service.
• On 29 December 2022, the French defense procurement agency (DGA) awarded Nexter an order for 50 renovated Leclerc tanks (XLR);
• Industrial qualification tests are continuing in close collaboration with the DGA and the French army;
• A first prototype tank was delivered to the DGA at the end of 2022, and the first 18 operational tanks will be delivered to the Army in 2023, according to the planning of the renovation contract awarded to Nexter on 1 June 2021.
• The temporary consortium formed by Nexter and Thales is exhibiting the RAPIDFire system turret in its final form on the Nexter stand at Euronaval.
• This remotely operated naval and land artillery system provides platforms with a close-in self-defence capability against air and surface threats.
• One of the first systems produced will be installed on French Navy fleet replenishment tanker Jacques Chevallier in early 2023 ahead of the at-sea qualification phase.